Thursday, September 6, 2012

FISH RECRUITMENT

I am serving as an Assistant Director for MSC FISH for this upcoming year. MSC FISH is a Freshman Leadership Organization on campus and is absolutely my favorite part about Texas A&M. With that said, I couldn’t be more excited to give back to this incredible organization and provide the Class of 2016 with the same experience. I know it will be challenging and require immense patience, but the best is still to come for my time in MSC FISH. This week was the start of our intense recruitment process. All throughout sorority recruitment, the other Assistant Directors were planning videos, painting banners, and preparing for this week. Thankfully, I am surrounded by incredible leaders and they picked up my slack while I was preoccupied. On Sunday, we hosted a table at MSC Open House. This was our first opportunity to get our name out there and start finding our future fishes. We ran through the halls of the MSC with neon signs, passed our playing cards that reflected our “Go FISH” theme, and held countless conversations with freshmen. Even though we are all incredibly passionate about the mission and vision for MSC FISH, at the end of the day… we just want these freshmen to find a place they can call home. For us, that was MSC FISH and that will hopefully hold true for 80 unknown freshmen. Monday morning was the official kick off to recruitment week. We all wore our hats and infamous blue tanks on campus all week. Between the 16 AD’s, we held banners in three locations on campus from 8 AM – 5 PM every single day. If you weren’t in class, you were holding a banner. Yes, it was hot. Yes, we got tired. Yes, we stayed hydrated. And yes, it will be worth it. It has been the longest week of my life. I have had several break downs at random moments. I have felt overwhelmed and schoolwork took a temporary back seat. We held three informationals at night where the freshmen could learn all about MSC FISH, our committees, and our purpose. They could ask questions and socialize with the staff members. Each informational had an incredible turn out, but I’ll never forget literally “running” from one organization to the next on Wednesday night. As I reflect back on the week I just had, I can’t help but smile. I am still exhausted and I can’t exactly think straight, but overall recruitment was a blast. I was surrounded by 15 of my best friends for an entire week. We are about to get 80 of the best freshmen MSC FISH has ever seen. I am so close to meeting my partner and my school. How could life get any better? Tomorrow is our final day recruiting on campus and applications are due by 5 PM. We will finish this chapter strong and celebrate by reading countless applications all night tomorrow. Although I’ve never felt more tired or stressed out, I know that God has placed each of us here for a reason. Together, we are going contribute everything we have to FISH and impact lives. I couldn’t be more blessed by the people that are on staff. We hold banners together. We recruit together. We learn together. We laugh together. We celebrate together. And together, we’re a family. MSC FISH 2012-2013 will be an unforgettable year.
Meet MSC FISH Staff...

Our Offical Recruitment Video!!!