Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Perfect Partnership.

Tonight was the night of Camp Duke’s Partner Revelation! There has been so much anticipation leading up to this moment. For those of you that aren’t familiar with Fish Camp– every single counselor is paired with a partner within their camp and together they lead a Discussion Group (or DG) during Fish Camp. You work extremely close with your partner and naturally they become your newest best friend. Before we dig into the actual revelation of our 12 perfect partnerships, there is a little Camp Duke gossip to share. Last week, one of our counselors had to drop out due to various circumstances and other time commitments. This week, we “picked-up” our newest counselor and that girl just happens to be BRITTANY MULLER. What are the odds of that, Sugar Land?! Brittany and I have known each other since Kindergarten and I truly believe she is the perfect addition to our camp. We are going to have the time of our lives together and I still can’t believe it!
Tonight was Partner Revelation, so we all dressed up in our finest attire and ate dinner at Chuy’s. The entire evening was a mystery and surprises aren’t my thing, but it was neat getting to know different people in camp at dinner while the anticipation was building! As we finished paying our checks, Will and Britni decided to show up. They were preparing for the revelation the entire time and I couldn't have been more excited to see them. We took a few pictures and then carpooled over to George Bush Library. I had no clue what to expect and I was unbelievably nervous. As soon as we arrived, they instructed us to find our Easter egg. This wasn’t any elementary school egg hunt… They hid these things extremely well. Once we were all finally assembled, we opened the eggs. All of the boys had a picture of Britni and all of the girls had a picture of Will. This was fake-out number 1. Next, we went over to the waterless fountain and found a rubber ducky with our name on it. Underneath the duck was a number and we matched up into pairs. This was our “partner,” but we knew there were more tricks to come. This was fake-out number 2. We walked over to the lake and each light pole had your corresponding number with a personal letter attached. We lined up and one by one were taken over to the gazebo. With our backs to the boys, we read our poem allowed and they were down on one knee with a rose. This was the revelation of our actual Fish Camp partnership! I was one of the last people to read the poem, so my impatient nerves never seemed to settle. However, David Lebeuf is my newest partner and words cannot express how excited I am!!!
David and I were lunch buddies last week and we have grown so much closer since then. We share so many similarities and I knew after we ate pizookies at BJ’s that I wanted this kid to be my partner. Although Dave witnessed me spill an entire glass of water while talking with my hands and realized just how gullible from the very beginning, I knew this was the start of a great friendship. He gave me lots of advice for my first experience in Fish Camp and warned me of the incredible relationships that come from this organization. David is a great guy and I’ve already learned so much about him! He not only wrote me a Jeff Pickering style two page poem, but he also wrote me a personal two page letter. He gave me coupons for one dinner, one movie, one sonic drink, and the list goes on. Little did he know, the Engle's are the biggest fans of coupons as gifts! I couldn’t be more thankful that I am his little Fish Camp wife and I know we’re going to have the best partnership anyone could ever ask for.
Everyone in our camp is matched up into 12 perfect pairs and our friendships are growing closer by the day. The countdown until we meet our freshmen has officially begun and we couldn't be more excited! I can't wait to get to know everything about David in these next few months! His number is already in my list of favorites on my phone. I am extremely excited about this year because everything has been absolutely perfect so far!!!
.  
 
 
 
Dear Future Partner,
Fish Camp is a Freshman’s First Tradition
It creates long lasting friendships and has the greatest mission.
We were both chosen as Fish Camp Counselors and placed into the same cluster
Over 900 staff members piled into Rudder Auditorium—
Which made the start of Fish Camp almost as monumental as Muster.
We were about to embark on a journey that would forever change our days,
And quickly adjust our lifestyle to the Duke Swag ways.
New color, new session, and all sorts of change
So many faces and expectations that seemed pretty strange.
Although we may have walked on different paths of life,
Camp Duke brought us together and allowed us to unite.
We are here for the freshmen— Fightin’ Class of Sixteen
And will always stick together in our precious Duke Green!
Our Camp is now divided into 12 perfect pairs
Did I mention we naturally have the sickest Co-Chairs?
Our DG group will consist of the coolest kids around
And they will instantly fall in love with this little college town.
They will be bleeding maroon due to our perfect partner love
We will teach them all about Aggieland and a university they can be proud of
I am so thankful you’re my partner and you’ll never leave my side
With inside jokes and plenty of laughter, Camp Duke will never divide.
Get ready to have the time of your life
Because now you can consider me your newest Fish Camp wife.
 Sincerely, Kaitlyn Engle