Friday, August 5, 2011

Fish Camp!

Howdy! My name is Kaitlyn Engle and I am a freshman business major from Sugar Land, TX. But more importantly, I am the loudest and proudest member of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Class of 2015! AAAAAAAAA! I’ve spent the last four days at session A of Fish Camp! Fish Camp is a freshman’s First Tradition at Texas A&M. They officially welcomed the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Class of 2015 and gave us the opportunity to have fun, make friends, and learn more about life at A&M. This past week has been indescribable, but I will try my very best to give you a small glimpse into my Fish Camp experience. The first day, I drove into College Station by myself slightly nervous not knowing what to expect. Once I arrived at Reed Arena, I saw college guys in tutus with colored mohawks everywhere and swarms of uncomfortable freshmen. I knew I was in for an interesting week. I was handed my freshmen packet, which placed me in Camp Holmes (Blue Group) and the DG: Have You Told Your Mom Yet? I met Amanda and John while sitting in the arena, and they will always be remembered as the first people I met at Fish Camp. We drove 2 hours to Lakeview Methodist Conference Center, where there were below average cafeteria meals, bitterly cold showers, and squeaky bunk bed arrangements. Everything was unsanitary and ancient to say the least, but I could toughen up for four quick camp days. We sang chants, cheers, songs, and hymns non-stop all week.  There were approximately 900 students in Session A; about 160 in the Blue Camp. Our camp shared a special bond as we spent plenty of time getting to know one another. We attended programs that highlighted the opportunities and services available on campus and participated in Aggie Traditions such as Yell Practice, Aggie Muster, and Silver Taps. There were camp wide themed mixers every night, which was by far my favorite part! The themes were Flashback, Country Western, and Neon Glow the final night. I met more people this week than I have in my entire life. I am by no means shy or hesitant to introduce myself to people, so I had no problems making some great new friends! Laine Stebbins, my “Bunkie,” was one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met. We ended up being in the same cabin and not only sharing a bunk-bed, but also sharing several similar interests. Back in January, I met Mackenzie Edwards on the Aggie Roommate Finder Website. We had talked about being potential roommates at one point, but ended up becoming great friends at Fish Camp! It may be a huge university with a large Aggie Network, but it seemed like a small world. Shelby Harrell and I quickly became close friends after stalking two very attractive players from the A&M baseball team. This girl knew every dance move and loved to have a great time. The four of us became super close, bonded over sorority recruitment, and danced the night away at the mixers. I will always consider them my best girlfriends from Fish Camp! Meagan and Nikki were both in my DG (Discussion Group) and I enjoyed getting to know them as well. Meagan’s sarcasm and dry humor reminded me of several friendships from Sugar Land! I met so many new people this week, but I am hoping I can stay in contact with at least a few of them come the fall semester. Texas A&M is unlike any university in the entire world. We are friendly, spirited, and rich with tradition. We come from different backgrounds. We all have a story to be told. Together we make the Aggie family. Together we are united as one. This week I had a defining moment in my Aggie story. We were at the Flashback mixer singing the Aggie War Hymn. I was swaying alongside my girlfriends with our arms around each other and our feet overlapping. I was filled with excitement singing this song at the top of my lungs, and at that moment I knew in my gut I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I knew that I was always meant to be an Aggie and I couldn’t understand why anyone would pass up the opportunity to attend Texas A&M. People say that there is a spirit that can never be told… and I can’t explain how true that is. From the inside looking out, you can’t explain it. But from the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. My Aggieland story has officially begun and I couldn’t be more thankful for my experiences at Fish Camp! Thanks & Gig ‘Em!
Fish Camp 2011,
Aggie Spirits' what we're reppin',
Newest 12th Man on the team,
Fightin' Class of '15!
AAAAAAAAAAAAA!