Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hello, College Station!

Today I officially moved into my new home for the next four years, College Station! The Engle girls took on the daunting task of moving all of my stuff into my dorm room. I am living in Underwood, which is an all-girls dorm, on the third floor. They don't have elevators around here, so we carried each and every box from the South Side parking garage up three long flights of stairs. Heavy and exhausting… to say the least. Upon arriving to the dorms, we picked up my key and rearranged all of the furniture. I was expecting a tiny dorm without any space to move around, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how big our room actually was! As the morning progressed, we continued to carry all of my belongings in and our energy quickly died down. We stopped to take a lunch break at Blue Baker and rented a $7 dolly from U-Haul. That was definitely the best seven dollars we’ve ever spent. We used it for all of my clothing bins, in addition to the futon and other heavy items. We worked as a team all day and the room came together perfectly. I am seriously in love with it! Lauren wrote the funniest and sweetest note on my dry erase board. It said…
 “Moving SUCKS, but it’s bearable when:
1.       Shannon falls going up the stairs
2.      Shannon falls into the closet
3.      You rent a $7 rolly cart
4.      You take a Blue Baker lunch break
5.      Engle girl jumping circle high fives J
6.      You are moving in one of the most amazing girls A&M has ever had!
We love you so much, Kait! A&M is lucky to have you!
                        Love, Lauren”
It was so sweet and it definitely made my day! The hardest part was saying goodbye. I didn’t expect to get as emotional as I did. When my Mom cries, I can’t hold back the tears. I know I’ll be more than fine adjusting to life in College Station, but I will miss my family tremendously. I am so thankful for all of their hard work today, because they helped make Room 310 the cutest room ever! As soon as they left, I walked across campus to meet up with Katy Lowery. We toured each other's dorm room and talked for awhile. We made plans with some friends for our first night of college, so it seemed like we could quickly aqjust to life in this new town. So for now… it’s Goodbye to Sugar Land and Hello to College Station!