Friday, August 12, 2011

Impact

I spent this past week at the Alpha session of Impact! Impact was a 4-day retreat for incoming freshmen at Texas A&M University and Blinn College that aimed to connect freshmen with Christian students as well as local churches and ministries in the Bryan/College Station area. While we were there, we engaged in speaker sessions, breakout groups, small group discussion, a ministry fair and plenty of other fun activities. Ariel and I drove to College Station together on Monday morning, and I am not going to lie… I wasn’t looking forward to the week to come. I had just finished my incredible week at Fish Camp, and I wasn’t ready for more “camp-life”: Uncomfortable bunk beds, disgusting showers, and the infamous camp food. Not only was my energy level low, but my voice was also still recovering from Fish Camp. At check in, I was assigned to the aqua group of Alpha Asher. Our group was divided further into BASIC Groups, or BGs, and mine was Oh so COMFY for your RUMPY. Shelby Harrell, the sweet and fun girl I met from Fish Camp, was ironically in my same Impact Group. We were able to become much better friends, as well as meet and grow with a bunch of new people. We participated in a Camp Relay, which consisted of twelve different obstacles and a giant slip n’ slide! Every day we would create a new cheer for “Roll Call,” and I am happy to admit that Alpha Asher WON the spirit stick with our Buzz Lightyear skit on Wednesday. WHOOP! Every morning and night, Jeff Johnson led worship and we would hear God’s word. They set up a giant ministry fair in the auditorium, which allowed us to learn about different churches, small groups, and Christian organizations on campus. We also went to breakout sessions, where we learned about the importance of accountability and community. One of my favorite parts was the optional sorority meeting during free time. The girl counselors that are currently involved in Greek Life gave us advice on how to be a light for Christ in our future chapters and make a difference. I cannot say that it was the best week of my life or anything as I had expected. I was reminded that God will continue to be faithful even when we are faithless. He has a plan for our lives that far surpasses anything we could create or suggest. Impact stressed the importance of getting involved and developing your own church community in College Station.
Here were four of their suggestions:
1. Think small
2. Be prepared for messy tension
3. Quit pretending
4. Take initiative.
Overall, I am very thankful that I got to experience both Impact and Fish Camp. I move out in one short week, and I am looking forward to spending time with my sweet family and friends in Sugar Land!